Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Final Request By Law

Unofficial Literary Challenge 5, Prompt 1
---
 
"Forgive me, Captain, allow me to say it another way: you shouldn't have done that." The image of Admiral Adam Steiner's affect on the table comp screen was stern. His close-cropped black hair immaculately conformed to regulations and his square jaw throbbed as he clenched his teeth. The conversation had gone well and cordial until Kathryn revealed her recent decision concerning Ensign Ilregan's remains with the Kobali.

Kathryn bristled at the comment and restrained from showing it. "As I mentioned, I considered it an act of good will from the Federation." Besides, I was within the confines of the law."

Steiner looked incredulous. "Please explain."

Quickly looking out the window of her ready-room, the bright light of the Dyson star filled the office. "According to Ensign Ilregan's service contract, her end-of-life clause gives the commanding officer complete discretion to her remains. Assuming remains would be available."

The Admiral from the JAG office still looked surprised. "Captain, that was a highly irregular means to satisfy the Ensign's wishes. Didn't you consider Ilregan's cultural concerns on the matter?"

Kathryn nodded. "Yes, sir, I did. As you are aware, the Bolian culture of death is similar to Vulcan norms. Yet, when in service to Starfleet, cultural differences, altough respected, are superseded by the needs, wishes, or demands of the individual. Ilregan left the final decision up to me."

Steiner nodded a few times in thought. "Respectfully, the family disagrees."

"Respectfully, too bad."

"Captain, it sounds like you don't care about the outcome of this action."

Kathryn shook her head. "To the contrary, I considered this for several days; a review of my logs will show that. After reviewing the R and R, I came to the conclusion that the Ensign's own words took precedence. Also, the Kobali are considered a part of the Alliance. In accordance with the treaty, I determined there was amicable grounds to satisfy the needs of both Ensign Ilregan and the Kobali. Frankly, it was a logical decision to make"

"That's an interesting argument and I knew you would say that." The Admiral shifted some PADDs on his desk. "The family is requesting an inquiry."

Kathryn sat back in her chair. "Then I must comply."

The man cocked his head slightly. "Pardon me, Captain but I expected more fight from you."

With a shrug, Kathryn said, "I've made my case in my logs and to you. I am confident with my decision and wouldn't be in my position if my decisions were not trusted. Ilregan trusted me enough to handle her in life and in death. I have fulfilled my duty to her and to Starfleet."

There was a long pause before the Admiral blinked.

"Thank you Captain Beringer. To use an old saying, 'no news, is good news.'"
 
---
 
Cast:
Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
Adam Steiner - Jonathan Rhys Meyers

No comments:

Post a Comment