Saturday, March 18, 2017

Thank You

Unofficial Literary Challenge 26 - "The Anniversary"

---

The hum of the ship’s life support system was barely audible, as the main engines were shut down.  The room’s only light source was the bright service lamps encircling the ship as it floated within the docking cradle.  Stark shadows cloaked many features of the room, yet the sole occupant was bathed in bright light as she sat near the window.  Looking at the red surface of Mars, the Captain of the ship was silent, occasionally and absentmindedly tapping the PADD held in one hand.  The other hand rubbed rank pips on her collar.  Kathryn Beringer held a smirk on her lips as she recalled the meeting she left over an hour ago.

Without notice, another female voice asked, “That was an adventure of words, I must say.”

Kathryn was expecting the visitor and was not surprised her reverie was broken so suddenly.  “You had something to do with it, didn’t you, Q?”  She swiveled her chair to face the interior of her office.

Wearing a Fleet Admiral uniform, Q stood with her weight on one leg as she faked inspecting her fingernail.  Her affect was playful and she curtsied.  “Maaaybe?  You should be thanking me for helping you keep this bucket of bolts.”  She spread her arms wide as she opened a toothy smile.

“Yes.  I suppose so.” 

Q walked to a chair in front of Kathryn’s desk and sat down.  “I’ll take that for a ‘thank you’.  And you’re welcome.”

“Actually I really am grateful for your intervention.”

Leaning forward, Q’s mirth exchanged for seriousness.  “I know how much you love this ship, I had to save it.  Why would you let them do that to you?”


Kathryn shrugged.  “Duty.”

Q scoffed.  “Let’s be honest with each other.  Omnipotence deserves that much, don’t you think?”

With a sigh, Kathryn resigned herself to the conversation.  “You heard the Admirals, although Solaris has modern technology, he just looks … old.  Moving to the new Resolute-class is what Captains like me are being asked to do.”

“’Asked is the new word for ‘ordered’, is it?”

“I think you have proved there are exceptions.”

Q’s smile returned.  “Is there another barrier to the truth or shall we continue talking around it?  This isn’t about duty, orders or,” she looked around the room, “aesthetics.”

Kathryn gently tossed the PADD onto her desk and then turned her chair to face a dark wall, one side of her face lit by the bright light outside, the other side obscured by shadow, trying to hide her emotions from Q.  “Like you said, I love this ship.  This ship.”

Standing, Q then stepped around the desk to be behind Kathryn, looking out another window.  Her hands clasped behind her back as she waited for Kathryn to continue.

“Four years ago, I was ordered to abandon my first command, the Galatea.  I flew that ship for a year before she was crippled in a fire-fight against the Klingons.  Instead of repair, Starfleet decommissioned the ship and I was given command of Solaris.  I have really grown into my rank since then.  Borg, Vaudwaar, Iconians –“.  Kathryn paused to look at the PADD.  “I have lost a lot of good crew along the way, some of them because of my decisions.”  She looked back toward the window.  “I have learned a lot about what being a leader means; the guidance, the judgments, forgiveness and diplomacy.  I found ways to make peace with myself while settling my own vendettas.  All of that in this ship.”

Stifling a yawn, Q stretched her arms up and wide even though she didn’t need the relief.

Kathryn snorted.  “Four years ago today I took command of Solaris, and today you saved him from the scrapyard.”  She swiveled her chair to face Q.  “Thank you.”

---

Cast for crew:
Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nicols
Q - June Diane Raphael

No comments:

Post a Comment