Monday, December 2, 2013

Risian Getaway

Literary Challenge 46 - Risian Getaway

+++

The air is cool and the breeze perfectly flows around me. I close my eyes and slowly lean onto the railing, shifting my weight onto one leg. Even though I enjoy letting my hair down when off duty, somehow on Risa doing so seems more comfortable. The breeze wisps through my red hair and over my cheek, tickling my nose. I can't help but smile at the feeling and from the fragrance. Such beauty from the aroma alone. Breathing it in reminds me of a word: Amaranth. It is a flower, but it’s the word that just comes to mind for no reason I can make a link to. I whisper the word then slowly open my eyes. Before my eyes is just a small part of the Lohlunat Festival - the dance floor. The lights made brighter against the night above the resort.

My room is twelve stories high with another two stories more. From this height I am confident I have enough privacy. Sure, people could look up and see me at the railing to the balcony but all they would see is my silhouette, if even that as the light from my room is dim. My smile widens as the breeze sends a chill up my bare back and ends with goosebumps on my arms. It’s a sensation you rarely feel on board a starship. I've missed being outside. At the Academy there was plenty of opportunity to study and stroll in the outdoor quad. Maybe that was intentional: to give the Cadets a last chance (so to speak) to enjoy such atmosphere as most of us would find our way on board climate-controlled ships or stations. Of course there were planetary postings, both alien and "earth-like" ... but nothing like Earth. Risa is wonderful, but it's not the same. Right now, it doesn't matter. I'm not on Solaris. Not on Earth. And I'm fine with that for now.

I shift my weight onto my other leg and continue looking at the dance floor. The varied species of the galaxy are gyrating on the brightly colored tiles. I think that's a Gorn shaking his ... her? ... posterior to a ... Rigelian? That is a Breen wearing shorts - I shudder slightly and look to my left.  There is a couple kissing passionately three balconies over to my right. I blush a little as I stare at them, then I remember that I'm the one standing naked in the dark. I back away from the railing. Touching the door frame, I reach for my glass of Kanar. The drink is a little thicker than I'm used to, but it is perfect for my mood. The regulated weather has been rejuvenating. Rest has been needed. The glass is emptied and I lick my lips to clean them of remaining flavor.

Turning into my dimly lit room I pause at the threshold of the doorway and let the breeze pull my hair back. After another moment I decide to finish what I started. Sitting at the desk I pick up the PADD and approve the following Duty Officers for transfer to the Solaris: Nurse Jimmie Massie, Hazard System Officer Belwan Fale, Security Officer Craig McClaren, Projectile Officer Beggonge, and Warp Core Engineer Jeff Nayee.


+++

Cast:
Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols

No comments:

Post a Comment